Avocados are simply delicious and have gained popularity all over these past few years. The health benefits are lengthy and the flavour is so tasty. So let’s take a look at the power of avocados and get some delicious recipes with this fruit.
Avocados are packed with nutrients and do not make you gain weight as some myths say. In fact avocados help you lose weight. The oil that it contains actually helps keep us slim. The density of the fruit keeps you satiated and curbs your hunger. So this all around delicious fruit is wonderful for keeping a healthy body. Throughout the year, I tend to eat ½-1 avocado per day, unless my body decides it doesn’t want it. Listening to your body is also a great way to know whether it has had enough and needs a break or continue with more.
Some of the health benefits of avocados are:
- -Promotes healthy heart and maintains healthy cholesterol levels
- -The fibre it contains aids with digestion
- -Helps maintain healthy skin and hair and can be used as face/hair masks
- -Contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties
- -Promotes eye health
- -Aids liver and kidney health
- -Anti-ageing as it reduces UV-induced inflammation of the skin and helps protect skin against sunburn damage.
Avocado oil has a high smoke point, which is more important to cooking then you think. When you use oils for cooking it is not only important to use extra virgin oils as it has been less processed then your regular oils, but it is also very important as to which oils you use. When certain oils are overheated, it destroys the beneficial nutrients and phytochemicals/antioxidants that it contains. Avocado oil however has a high burning point, meaning that you can cook it at much higher temperatures then that of its counterparts before it looses its benefits. So I mainly do my cooking and frying with avocado oil and still maintain a low temperature. What’s an extra 5 minutes to cook something?
I love avocados and incorporate them into many different things. Here are some recipes I enjoy doing:
- -Coconut water/Filtered water
- -Sprouts for topping optional
Combine and blend ingredients according to your taste and enjoy the health benefits of this delicious green smoothie!
Avocados are great to use in desserts. That’s right. It provides a creamy texture and the flavour blends well with others.
Chocolate Avo Mousse
- -Dark unrefined cacao powder
- -Maple syrup/honey/sugar cane/agave nectar/dates
- -Milk of choice (I enjoy cashew/hazelnut/coconut cream)
- -Pinch of salt
- -Vanilla extract
- -Cacao nibs or coconut flakes for topping
Combine and blend ingredients until smooth. Taste and add according to preference. This quick and lovely dessert will surely satisfy your sweet tooth and give you an energy boost!
Avocados can be used in so many different ways. Searching for delicious recipes online is always a great way to try something new. A delicious meal recipe is from the cookbook called “Oh She Glows.” It has a wonderful creamy avocado pasta recipe and a roasted potato avocado salad. So many wonderful ideas and recipes one can do with this magical fruit.